WORDFAST - ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR CAT TOOLS. PART II
Useful features and functions of Wordfast include:
• support for all languages in Microsoft Word - including non-latin alphabets or languages with right-to-left writing pattern;
• option to work with all file formats supported by MS Word;
• a number of built-in Quality Assurance functions to apply during the translation process;
• option to use even up to three glossaries simultaneously;
• recognition of synonymous terms inclosed in glossaries;
• use of external dictionaries;
• cooperation with machine translation software;
• contextual search or concordance;
• Quality Assurance recognizing issues related to punctuation and non-translatable terms
The full version of program supports Translation Memory of up to 500.000 TU (translation units), written in ANSI (plain text) or Unicode format - so it is easy to read, handle, store and share.
In the free version, Wordfast offers cooperation with translation memories of up to 110KB or 500 TU - enough to work on small and medium projects. It is important to note that all features and options, except for translation memory limitations, are available free of charge, which is unique in the market - the demo versions usually lack certain features.
It is possible to share translation memory and glossaries with even up to 20 workstations. Wordfast also supports MS Word macros and thus allows for virtually unlimited configuration and customization. It works with any OS on which you can run the Office suite, which eliminates software compatibility issues.
CAT tools make translator's work much easier
The usefulness of CAT tools is hard to overestimate in an everyday practice. Especially when you are dealing with repetitive texts - for example, documents of the same type or translations in a similar subject area. It is important to choose the software that best suits your needs - and so there is Wordfast, which is undoubtedly one of the best options with configuration via MS Word and multitude of features.